Sunday, June 26, 2011

Inspiration on a Plate

When I enrolled at CIC it was with the intent to learn everything I could about baking and decorating cakes. If I learned anything else along the way, then, that would be a bonus. I have to admit now, though, that I feel a disturbance in the Force. My allegiance to cake is slowly being compromised and this plated desserts class is responsible. Why? Because I've realized that while cake is a wonderful and creative medium, the artist's palette for plated desserts is SO much larger.

Last week while working on a homework assignment that involved researching dessert menus, I reviewed the websites of several restaurants on S. Pellegrino's 2011 "World's 50 Best Restaurants" list. I was stunned by the level of artistry in many of the desserts featured, and what I saw truly inspired me. The passion and commitment to craft were evident with each photo that flashed by and I kept thinking, "I want to make that!"

The Adobe Flash featured on practically every site prevents me from posting any pictures I came across here, but if you have some time then check out some of the restaurants on the list for yourself. I hope you find inspiration like I did. And what about my love of cake? Well, that hasn't changed, but I'm loving this opportunity to learn how to use a new set of brushes...

No comments:

Post a Comment