Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Chocolate Layer Cake




Hi ya'll! I'm so excited to be in plated desserts class this summer and can't wait to see all the edible works of art our class will create throughout the semester!

The theme for our first week was on classic American desserts, and each group was tasked with making two desserts, a batch of vanilla bean ice cream base, and a sauce or two for accompaniments. Needless to say, we had our hands full! My group made the lovely chocolate layer cake you see here. The batter for the chocolate buttermilk cake contained a fair amount of oil, which made for a moist crumb. The frosting was unusual for me in that we actually made it entirely in a Robot Coupe, first by processing butter and the dry ingredients together, then adding the wet, and finishing with melted dark chocolate. The frosting was beautifully shiny and spread like a dream so I enjoyed working with it to frost the layers.

This is definitely a good cake for dark chocolate lovers, and I admit that I'm not one of them so I just had a few bites to experience the flavors. I appreciated the presence of vanilla bean ice cream, the chantilly cream quenelle (yikes, I've got to practice doing these!), and the creme Anglaise sauce on the plate to help cut through the intense chocolate flavor of the cake. It is a beautiful dessert, though, and I'd be happy to make it again for anyone with a hankering for dark chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment