Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Bavarian Table Serves Up Dessert

Gingerbread Pear Cobbler with Pear Riesling Sorbet Bee Sting Cake with Honey Cardamom Ice Cream



Whew - what a relief! The practical final for Plated Desserts is behind me and I managed to execute two of the desserts on my menu with varying degrees of success. As posted earlier, I named my upscale German restaurant The Bavarian Table and the desserts I chose to produce were the gingerbread pear cobbler and the bee sting cake.

First, the bee sting cake. The cake featured rounds of brioche, piped diplomat cream, honey almond syrup, toasted almonds, and shards of almond brittle. The plate was drizzled with more honey almond syrup, garnished with a marzipan bee, and served with honey cardamom ice cream. I wasn't pleased with the way this dessert turned out - too big, too sweet, and not what I had in mind visually. I learned that diplomat cream isn't a wise choice for a la minute service, and that a little bit of honey goes a long way! The next time I approach this dessert, I will make the cake in the traditional way (in a pan with a baked-on honey almond topping, torted, and filled with pastry cream) and just serve slices rather than trying to be too contrived with the presentation.

I was more pleased with my second dessert, the gingerbread pear cobbler. The cobbler contained sliced pears tossed with sugar, lemon juice, candied ginger, and a bit of flour. The topping was a spicy gingerbread. This was served warm with a pear chip and a quenelle of ginger creme Chantilly on top as well as a quenelle of pear Riesling sorbet to the side and a piece of pulled sugar sprinkled with bits of dried cranberries to tie everything together. I loved how the flavors of the spicy gingerbread, juicy pears, and creamy ginger creme Chantilly came together and wouldn't change a thing. I would change the use of the pear Riesling sorbet, though. While very tasty, it didn't really go with the cobbler even though both components were pear based. Next time I'll go with a sauce that adds more creaminess to the plate, perhaps a creme Anglaise. Presentation-wise, I was happy with how the elements looked on the plate. I had height, a pop of color from the cranberry sugar and good visual interest. To me, it looked like something you'd pay $8 for so on this dessert I'll claim Mission Accomplished. :-)

Finally, I just want to say congrats to all my classmates on their desserts. I was so impressed by what I tasted and saw. Way to go, ladies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment