Sunday, August 7, 2011

Almost forgot goat cheesecake!

I was going through my plated desserts notebook this morning and realized that I'd forgotten to post about the goat cheesecake we plated last week. It wasn't my favorite dessert of the semester, but there were some things that I liked.

The components of this dessert included a goat cheesecake, a fig compote (mission figs soaked in wine and spices), citrus honey syrup, rosemary pine nut brittle, and a sugar decoration. The cheesecake was just okay. I’m not a fan of goat cheese so I was predisposed to not like this dessert. The cheesecake also had a slightly grainy texture that I didn’t like, which was partly from the goat cheese and partly from being over-baked. The figs were delicious, however. They were very juicy and had just the right amount of spice. The best thing on the plate was the citrus (orange, to be specific) honey syrup, which brought all the flavors together. The rosemary pine nut brittle added a nice crunch factor and the hint of rosemary also went well with the other flavors on the plate. The sugar decoration was fun to make and added nice height and visual interest.

Overall, the goat cheese would make me pass on ordering this dessert, but the other flavors worked well together and the plating looked great so I could see this being a popular dessert in a restaurant. If I made this dessert again, I would just go with a traditional cheesecake and keep everything else the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment