Sunday, July 17, 2011

Reggae Regale

I have to admit, plating desserts was not on the top of my list of things I wanted to learn in pastry school.  Most people that know me for my culinary ventures know that I'm a "cake girl" and although I take a lot of "uncakeful" classes, I am secretly just trying to make my cakes more interesting by using techniques outside the box. I always kinda thought that the display of fancy-schmancy desserts was pretentious and a dirty way for an establishment to charge me far too much to satisfy my sweet tooth, considering I always thought I would enjoy a big sloppy slice of cake much more than I would a delicately placed bite of art on an otherwise empty plate.  I didn't expect to like most of the desserts in this class.

What I really didn't expect was loving what we do in this class.

It didn't sink in that this class has rocked my pastry world until I started working on the final project.  The goal is to create a restaurant, and then write the dessert menu.  I've never wanted to work in a restaurant, so I shocked myself when I sat and thought about my imaginary restaurant.  I'd been working on a tropical themed wedding cake and had been tormented by Facebook pictures of my friends' toes pointing at the ocean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment